Flowserve Corporation Buyer in Springville, Utah
Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
The Standard Components and MRO Buyer is responsible primarily for purchasing components and materials considered to be standard commodities, and MRO supplies. The Buyer is also responsible for processing orders for miscellaneous purchase requests made by site employees for goods and services.
The Buyer reports to the Purchasing Manager, working under moderate supervision. The Buyer may be required to be a part of teams that discuss changes, problems, and solutions in control valve production and procurement. The Buyer’s duties and decisions often impact the success of the Purchasing and control valve work groups directly, and sometimes they require originality and ingenuity. These duties and decisions are sometimes complex and varied. The Buyer is also expected to continually look for ways to improve quality, delivery, and cost processes within their own areas of responsibility, and work with suppliers of assigned spend categories to improve their performance to Flowserve’s expectations. The Buyers’ duties and decisions also impact the success of the Purchasing work group directly. The Buyer relies on prior experience and judgment to complete assignments.
Accountabilities - Support the Flowserve Springville Code of Excellence by striving to incorporate its principles into all work activities, including the following:
§ Work respectfully, collaboratively, and ethically with all customers
§ Accept assignments and direction from Purchasing Manager and Supply Chain Manager
§ Establish a due date and expectation for follow up for every customer request, and work with appropriate urgency to meet those expectations
§ If an expectation cannot be met, renegotiate with the customer prior to the due date
§ Demonstrate a willingness to help others, even if the work is unrelated to normal duties
§ Establish partnerships with suppliers, including frequent communication about business trends, expectations, performance, and improvement opportunities
§ Work collaboratively with suppliers to meet performance goals: >96% OTD, <2,500 PPM poor quality,
<1,000 PPM inaccuracy in shipments, etc.
§ Teamed with suppliers, continually seek cost reduction and containment opportunities, and take advantage of these opportunities through coordinated implementation efforts
§ Involve other Flowserve groups in the partnership with suppliers – Engineering, Quality, Planning, Receiving, etc. – and seek their input on how to improve performance
§ Work to establish a common focus between Flowserve and suppliers that supports the corporate, local, and group strategic visions and goals
§ Establish a culture of continuous improvement with all assigned suppliers, particularly in the areas of quality, lead time reduction, and reducing total cost
Manage Standard, MRO, and Miscellaneous Buy Processes
§ Follow established processes and policies, yet continually look for and suggest improvements to them
§ Process miscellaneous Requisitions for Purchase within expected time frames - typically 1 business day
§ Assure all appropriate approvals are obtained prior to processing miscellaneous purchases
§ Assure purchases of standard and MRO goods and services are made in a time to meet customers’ expectations
§ Fully comply with Flowserve’s Ethics and Compliance Policy
§ Assume ownership of all aspects of assigned work responsibilities
§ Seek further training and learning to more fully produce accurate and high quality results
§ Be an example of excellence in all duties
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must also occasionally lift fifty pounds or less. Normal corrected or uncorrected vision is required.
This position is predominantly in an office environment, but occasionally requires exposure to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; and/or toxic or caustic chemicals. Typical noise levels for this job are moderate.
Education and Experience
· Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Business Management, or equivalent, and three to five years’ experience as a Buyer or Purchasing Agent
· Two to four years’ demonstrated experience interacting directly with suppliers concerning Purchase Order confirmations, dock dates, and other basic PO details, including updating information in an ERP system and notifying Buyers of changes
· Two to four years’ direct Purchasing experience in an industrial manufacturing facility
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated experience working directly with Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Accounting, and Supply Chain
· Demonstrated understanding of lean purchasing tools
· Extensive understanding of large-scale ERP systems (Oracle highly preferred)
· Extensive understanding of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, including updating and maintaining complex spreadsheets
· Lean Six Sigma training
· Demonstrated basic understanding of industrial manufacturing and documentation processes related to ISO certification and SOX requirements
Education and Experience
· Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, and two to three years buying experience in Purchasing, including creating and updating Purchase Orders (POs) and direct interaction with suppliers; an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
· Minimum of one year demonstrated experience using large-scale ERP systems (Oracle preferred)
· One to two years’ experience using Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook and Excel
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to be motivated through a constant, self-imposed and internal drive
· Demonstrated ability for assuming personal accountability for all responsibilities
· Demonstrated ability to work well with others, invest in their success, and find satisfaction in the process and results
· Demonstrated skill at maintaining high accuracy and attention to detail
· Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills resulting in positive outcomes for both customer and supplier
Primary Posting Location:
Springville, Utah US
Percentage of Approximate Travel Required:
Job Posting/Business Card Title:
United States of America
Job Posting Category:
Auto req ID: